girlsgonegreenaction.com is the site and social networking campaign supporting book release and national events created around the Puffin / Penguin Books & Participant Media release.
Saving the environment is a large task for anyone, especially a teenager. Yet each girl in this book has taken the initiative to help lessen our toll on the environment.
From trying to conquer global warming, to encouraging the use of wind power, to creating a cosmetics line with no toxic chemicals, these girls have stepped up, made their voices heard, and changed things in their schools and communities.
These young female activists have earned public recognition for their work to save the environment and prove that anything is possible.
GIRLS GONE GREEN features the following celebrity green girls:
• Ellen Page of Juno gives pointers on hosting a planting party.
• Shailene Woodley of The Secret Life of the American Teenager, gives tips to green your prom.
• Mischa Barton of The OC urges teens to bring reusable bags to the grocery store.
• Jessica Lowndes of 90210 talks about the impact of plastic water bottles in landfills.
• Alicia Silverstone, actress, author and food activist, suggests going vegetarian to save the planet.
• Michelle Branch, singer & songwriter, discusses the importance of eating locally.
Green Girl Pledge
The My Green Girl Pledge encouraged young women around the world to take a stand to go green. By taking the online pledge, girls promised to think about how their personal behavior and habits affect the planet. Girls were given a a list of concepts in order to inspire them to bring more green into lives and were able to print or email their signed pledge for all to see.